Welcome to the Stone County Sheriff web page. Here you will find information about our office and descriptions of our duties, plus our office address and telephone numbers. Please feel free to contact us if we can be of service to you.
1420 Industrial Park Road
Wiggins MS 39577
Phone: 601-928-7251 or 601-928-3191 ext 13
Hours: M-F 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Duties and Responsibilities
The Sheriff is elected at-large and serves a four-year term. The Sheriff's law enforcement duties include keeping peace within the county. Administrative duties include serving as the county's jailor, submitting a budget of his office to the Board of Supervisors, keeping Mississippi Department Reports, and keeping a jail docket.
Some of the responsibilities of the Sheriff include:
Law Enforcement Duties
These duties are specifically to keep the peace within the county, by causing all offenders in his view to enter into bonds, with sureties, for keeping the peace and for appearing at the next circuit court, and by committing such offenders in case of refusal. The sheriff is also charged with the duty to quell riots, routs, affrays and unlawful assemblages, and to prevent lynchings and mob violence.
- Serve as the county's jailor. The sheriff is required to keep separate rooms for the sexes, not permitting communication between male and female prisoners, unless they are married; provide lights when necessary and proper; sufficient and clean bedding; and daily wholesome and adequate food and drink.
- Have charge of the courthouse and jail of his county, of the premises belonging thereto, and of the prisoners in said jail. This includes the protection of the court and prisoners from mob violence, injuries or attacks by mobs, and from trespasses and intruders.
- Submit a budget of his office's estimated expenses for the next fiscal year including payment of premiums on the bonds and insurance necessary to protect the interest of the county. (i.e. bonds for liability insurance, insurance against false arrest charges, insurance against false imprisonment charges, theft, fire, and other hazards insurance, and hospitalization insurance).
- Keep books of every kind, maps, charts, and other things that may be donated to the county.
- Keep the Mississippi Department Reports, census reports, statutes of the state, the Mississippi Reports, digests, and legislative journals assigned to his county in the courtroom of the courthouse.
- Keep a jail docket noting the details of each warrant or mittimus of any person placed in the county jail.
Stone County Regional Correctional Facility
- For information about the Stone County Regional Correctional Facility call 601-928-7042 ext. 0
- Office hours are M-F 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Mississippi Sex Offender Registry Search: www.sor.mdps.state.ms.us
- Any questions regarding sex offenders in Stone County, please contact Melissa Turan at 601-928-3191 ext. 26.